Upton Hotel

place image


With the completion of Atlanta’s terminal Station in 1905, several hotels opened in the area to provide accommodations for travelers. The Upton Hotel, at the corner of Trinity and Forsyth Streets, has a strong visual presence: ornamented facades, articulated roof lines and brick with tile bands with triangular features piercing the tops of the pilasters within which windows are grouped in units of three.

The building has been gutted by fire and was subsequently cleaned up with the ground floor openings temporarily sealed. The intact masonry walls have been braced with metal supports. The building stands today in this gutted condition open to the elements, but still making a contribution to the intersection through scale, texture and materials.

Listed in 2003

Address: 236 Trinity Ave SW Atlanta, GA  30303
Area of City: Downtown
Time: 1905