Home of the Hanson Six

Hanson Motor Car Company

place image
Hanson Motor Car Company in 2001

The Hanson Motor Car Company, organized by George M. Hanson, was the home of the “Hanson Six,” the first automobile manufactured in Atlanta. In 1917 the company not only opened its brick factory, designed by W.C. Powell, but also introduced its “assembly car” at the Southeastern Automobile Show. By 1919 the car was in such demand that plans were underway to expand the factory, which included two small two-story small two-story square buildings with distinctive gables, three long factory wings and a central factory building. The car’s success was short-lived, however, due to completion from the large manufactures; the plant shut down in 1925.

This building has been demolished.

Listed in 2003

Address: 1066 Murphy Ave SW Atlanta, GA  30310
Area of City: Southwest of Downtown
Time: 1917-1919
Architect/Designer: W.C. Powell