Icon of Jewish Contribution to Early Atlanta

Concordia Hall

place image

Concordia Hall is one of the six buildings on Hotel Row, a City of Atlanta Landmark District and the most significant row of typical early 20th Century commercial structures that once formed the City’s original business district. Built for the Concordia Association, it represents the important role the Jewish community played in the development of the City. The Association was founded in 1866 at Morris Rich & Co. by German and Hungarian Jews and fostered their cultural heritage by sponsoring dramatic performances, music and literary gatherings, debates and card playing.

Designed by Bruce and Morgan, Architects, the building lost much of its high-style detailing, which included a high Victorian façade with gabled roofs, arched windows crowned with pediments, parapet cornices and projecting onion dome turret, in the early 20th century. Still visible today is the swan-neck pediment with a lyre, the symbol used by the Concordia Association, as the central motif.

Listed in 2003

Address: 201 Mitchell St SW Atlanta, GA  30303
Area of City: Downtown
Time: 1893
Architect/Designer: Bruce & Morgan