Fort McPherson Staff Row and Old Post Area

place image

Fort McPherson is named for Maj. Gen. James Birdseye McPherson, USA, who was killed during the Battle of Atlanta in 1864. It became a permanent artillery garrison in 1885 and a site where housing improvements for army personnel were tested. Fort McPherson’s Staff Row (1889-1910) and barracks (1889-1891) are distinguished examples of residential Victorian design. The former headquarters and the chapel are equally notable for their architecture. Forty-two buildings on Staff Row and in the Old Post Area at Fort McPherson are included on the National Register of Historic Places. Mayor Shirley has appointed the McPherson Planning Local Redevelopment Authority, headed by Felker Ward, to handle the planning of the reuse of the 487-acre army base.

The site was targeted for closure in 2005 and APC has watched the redevelopment proceedings with an eye towards their impacts on the 33 acres of National Historic Register district.  In 2008 APC was selected to serve as a stakeholder in the Section 106 Review Process, where we successfully advocated for the expansion of the National Register District. The listing was successfully expanded in 2013 to include contiguous historic resources dated from 1887 to 1959.  There is a proposed sale of approximately 330 acres of the site to Tyler Perry studios.

5/4/2015 Update:

Come help voice your concern to help protect Fort McPherson's historic buildings!

Community Engagement Subcommittee Meeting Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 5:30 pm-7:30 pm at the offices of MILRA ( Fort McPherson oversight Board) 1794 Walker Avenue, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310

Building Inventory 

2008 Building Inventory

1974 National Register Nomination

Listed in 2007

Address: Staff Row Atlanta, GA  30310
Area of City: Southwest of Downtown
Time: 1889-1910
Architect/Designer: Various